The old Carriers Arms Hotel on Creswick road was lined with drays on market day. Carries lined up to deliver their goods to the market square on site of the present Civic Hall and both the drivers and horses needed somewhere to quench their thirst.
Known originally as the Market place hotel, a popular watering hole was built in the mid 1850s by Thomas Whitely thought to have been the first licensee. In 1858 it was extended. In 1862 the licence was transferred to John Elson and four years later to Thomas Grenville. During that time the name changed to the Carriers Arms.
A substantial part of the building is thought to have been built about 1879.
In 1968 the hotel was delicensed and in 1970 it was brought by antique deals Peter Llewellyn who have used both as show rooms and as their family residences.
The building is almost a warren of 18 mostly large rooms at the back of the building there are old cobblestones where the drays come in. There are extensive brick stables floored with end-on bricks.